Saturday, September 3, 2011

all you need is love.....part 3

So the last two blogs were about I Corinthians 13.  I find it interesting the love chapter is found in a letter to the church at Corinth, not Philippi. The Philippian Church was a persecuted church and Paul had very kind words for them as they lived the Gospel in the midst of hard circumstances. But the love chapter goes to Corinth--the church which is divided (I was baptized by Paul, I was baptized by Apollos) and a church which loved its rituals (spiritual gifts) more than people. They get the love chapter. And the Love chapter does not talk anything about agreeing with each other. Instead, it promises we will not see things eye to eye here. No we are reminded that right now, we are seeing things dimly. And because we see things dimly, perhaps a love which is patient, kind, not rude, seeks the best for the other person, does not boast in being right, rejoices in justice not evil is the kind of love which we are called to.
Interestingly enough, I have been in a conversation on my friend's facebook wall about responding to atheists who "blaspheme" God. One person insists the loving thing to do is to point out they are in a burning building, point out their sin and if they don't respond move on to the next house. I asked if love always has to point out the sin. He responded it was either that or embracing sin and saying all things are fine.
Is there a love in between those two extremes? Is there an act of love between pointing out sin or saying everything is fine? Have we lost our God given creativity if we can only see two sides to love?
Is this life really a burning building and we need to accept Jesus to get out of the burning building of sin? Or is life a journey where we are shaped by the encounters with a loving God who patiently waits for us, calls to us, walks with us until we respond? Perhaps I see things too simplistically. I know I only see things dimly.  But from my experience, God seems to take the scenic route. If its a burning building, God doesn't seem to be in a hurry in my life or the lives of anyone around me. The only answer I keep hearing is: love any ways.

2 comments:

  1. this is a great post! The thing that becomes more and more frustrating to me is that the individuals that see love as only right when we tell people what horrible sinners they are, are the very people that the world is exposed to on a regular basis. This of course leads to people in the world mocking, arguing, and hating all of us. This last conversation that had been going on really, really, hurt me. And now i am starting to think, "what is the point". I Love your post...and thanks for always being supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember one of the movies or books of Harry Potter having a scene it where Luna, a unique friend of Harry, talks to Harry. Harry is feeling alone. Not many people are believing him. Luna says something to the fact that Voldemort, the evil wizard, probably wants Harry to feel alone. If Harry feels alone, he won't feel very confident and won't be as much a threat.
    I think that is the danger in Christianity. When we argue without the love of I Corinthians 13, we alienate, draw lines and make each other feel alone. And perhaps that is what the enemy wants. Then we give up loving as Christ and are no longer a threat.

    ReplyDelete