Sunday, November 27, 2011

Advent--Day 1 Isaiah 64

Isaiah 64 
1 Oh, that you would burst from the heavens and come down!
      How the mountains would quake in your presence!
 2 As fire causes wood to burn
      and water to boil,
   your coming would make the nations tremble.
      Then your enemies would learn the reason for your fame!
 3 When you came down long ago,
      you did awesome deeds beyond our highest expectations.
      And oh, how the mountains quaked!
 4 For since the world began,
      no ear has heard,
   and no eye has seen a God like you,
      who works for those who wait for him!
 5 You welcome those who gladly do good,
      who follow godly ways.


Yes! Open the Heavens and come down! Let your salvation spring up from the ground. Let nature declare you are God. Set things right! Let those who mock me, who hurt me, who hurt my friends, my nation know I was.....I mean....You are right! Show them all God!! You welcome those who follow your ways and do good. So come, Lord Jesus, come! Set everything right.



But you have been very angry with us,
      for we are not godly.
   We are constant sinners;
      how can people like us be saved?
 6 We are all infected and impure with sin.
      When we display our righteous deeds,
      they are nothing but filthy rags.
   Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall,
      and our sins sweep us away like the wind.
 7 Yet no one calls on your name
      or pleads with you for mercy.
   Therefore, you have turned away from us
      and turned us over[c] to our sins.


Yes, show those ungodly people we, your people, are right.......wait, what? "we are ungodly?" Excuse me, Isaiah, but I think you made a mistake. We are the people of God. And when Christ comes back all those who are not part of "us--godly people"--you know, those who are ungodly-- will be shown the error of their ways and God's people will be shown to be right. How can we be part of the ungodly?
Ok, I will admit that I haven't forgiven that person yet....but she hasn't asked for forgiveness. But that is such a small thing, isn't it?
And, yes, I guess sometimes my "prayer requests" are bordering on gossip, but if it gets others to pray.....no, its not justifiable.
What? My attitude about those in poverty or those of the opposing political opinion? Well they are just lazy and ignorant......oh, you're right, I am generalizing and not hearing their story. I could probably be a little more Christ-like in this area too.
Now, yes, I am angry and bitter towards that person but he acts like he has the perfect theology and uses Scripture as a weapon against me. I mean, does he not see that I Corinthians 13, the fact we see things dimly now means he sees things dimly now?!? What? That verse is for me too? I see things dimly too and probably should be a bit more humble? Well, I can see your point.
Well, you're right, I am quite impatient, judgmental, selfish, quick to talk, slow to listen....ok, ok.
I am ungodly and I don't call out for your help but rely on my own strength to be a good person. I am comfortable as I am. I want you to right this world but let me be. I am part of the ungodly.


8 And yet, O Lord, you are our Father.
      We are the clay, and you are the potter.
      We all are formed by your hand.
 9 Don’t be so angry with us, Lord.
      Please don’t remember our sins forever.
   Look at us, we pray,
      and see that we are all your people.



So when you come in your glory, don't forget me, please. Please don't leave me in my sin and brokenness. As you make the rest of the world whole and right, please make me whole and right. Don't just rend the Heavens but rend my heart too.

No comments:

Post a Comment