Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Isaiah 40

My parents milked a television for all it was worth. We didn't get cable into well into the 80's if not 90's. I remember watching reruns of Mighty Mouse as a kid. The bad guy would have someone captive. Mighty mouse would hear a distress call and zoom into the air. And somewhere along the way, you would hear Mighty Mouse sing from the skies, before he got to the bad guy: "Here I come to save the day!"
When I read Isaiah 40, I hear those words "Here I come to save the day!" but this time it is God who is on the way. The prophet/messenger scouts before the Almighty telling all to prepare the way. Nothing will stand in God's way from rescuing his people, his creation. "Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough--to keep God from his creation"
As we journey the wilderness of life, can we hear the cry "prepare the way of the Lord." Can we hear our God sing out "Here I come to save the day!"
Are we preparing the way to encounter Christ again this Christmas? Are the high places of arrogance, pride and self sufficiency in our lives being made low? Are the low places of doubt, regret, and unforgiveness being filled in with the hope, mercy and grace of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment