Saturday, January 8, 2011

The New Year

I like the word "new". I like to get new stuff. I like new starts. I like "new". But in Scripture when the word new is used is it in the same manner we Americans use it? If I get a new car, I am replacing my old one. I discard the old.
With the coming of the New Year, we do not discard all the years which came before. In fact, we are the sum of those past years in good and bad ways. The New Testament does not replace the Old. The New Covenant in Christ does not discard the Old covenant. Christ came to fulfill the law, not do away with it. I am a new creation, the old has passed away---but does that mean the old is discarded?
God created us with strengths and talents and the ability to love and the ability to know God. In Christ we are new, the old that was self centered and broken has been healed and made new. In Christ we are new, the old that was good has been filled with Christ.
May 2011 be filled with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment